by Lisa Medley, author of Reap & Redeem
Olivia, the heroine of Reap & Redeem, is dying. The first thing she did when she found out was make a bucket list. She’s been steadily checking things off that list and is down to the end…of her life and the list. From Reap & Redeem:
“She was down to the last fourteen. Of course, they were the most frightening ones, which was exactly why they were last. Cooking at a homeless shelter was nothing compared to #53 and #58: get drunk and have a one-night stand.”
Here are the last 14 items on Olivia’s list:
- #47 swim in the ocean
- #48 fly over a volcano
- #49 volunteer at a homeless shelter
- #50 have a pet
- #51 make the best dessert ever
- #52 get drunk
- #53 dance all night
- #54 sing in a karaoke bar
- #55 sleep under the stars on the fall equinox
- #56 learn to use a weapon
- #57 pay my debts
- #58 have a one-night stand
- #59 give everything away
- #60 save a life
“The idea of a bucket list had seemed so wonderful at first. Essential even. As she’d ticked her way through the list, she was surprised by how easy most of them were to achieve. Of course, her wishes weren’t too exotic. No running with the bulls in Pamplona, swimming with sharks in South Africa, or other such craziness. And she had no intention of leaving a trail of unpaid debt behind despite her former coworker’s suggestion that she charge everything to a credit card, Visa be damned. Her parents would have been so disappointed with her if she’d even considered such a thing. In preparing for her death, she’d proceeded as cautiously as she always had in life, with the notable exception of #53 and #58.” — Reap & Redeem
Since finishing Reap & Redeem, my own bucket list is slowly taking shape as well. Many of my bucket list items are dependent on winning the lottery or an extreme amount of luck I may never be beneficiary to.
That may be problematic.
Still, here’s my list so far:
- Eat my way through Italy.
- Drink my way through Ireland.
- Get my 9-year-old through college when it’s time.
- Hike the entire Appalachian Trail.
- Finish hiking the last twelve miles I have left of the Ozarks Highlands Trail in Arkansas.
- Kayak 100 hundred miles of new-to-me water in a week.
- Hike/climb to the top of one 14K peak without need of rescue.
- Be a walk-on zombie on The Walking Dead.
- Write one episode for a television show.
- Hang out with Stephen King for a day.
Do you have a bucket list? What’s on it?
About Reap & Redeem:
After a century of enslavement to pure evil, Kylen Larson is finally free. But hes long past caring. The only woman he ever loved is dead, and hes tormented by memories of the horrors his demon parasite forced him to commit. Now he lives for nothing more than hunting down the infernal creatures invading Meridian, Arkansas, and destroying them.
Olivia Evans is in the final stages of cancer when Kylen accidentally saves her from demonic possession. When he rescues this innocent soul, Kylen rediscovers his mission—and his heart. All he wants is to help Olivia stay alive. Hell just have to fight off an invasion from Hell first….