The Harlequin Blog recently got the scoop on why New York Times bestselling author Gena Showalter thinks you should read her latest Angels of the Dark novel, Burning Dawn. Here they are again in case you missed it. What about you? What is your #1 reason for reading Burning Dawn or if you’ve already read it, what did you like about it the most?
I’m often asked which of my books I would recommend to new and established readers alike. I can say without hubris, Burning Dawn, an Angels of the Dark novel. Here are five reasons why:
1) Thane, the hero. He is my new book boyfriend. He’s tall, muscled and exquisitely beautiful. Women throughout the ages have craved this winged warrior, who is tasked with slaying demons, despite his deep-seated need to cause pain…even to his lovers. He is ruthless, living by a single code: no mercy. And yet, he utterly melts for one woman. His inability to harm her—and his abhorrence for even the thought—shocks him to his core.
2) Elin, the heroine. She is a former slave turned barmaid with a dangerous secret sure to enrage Thane, and a darling wit. She experiences a character metamorphosis, going from timid to fierce over the course of the story. Even though she’s sure she can resist Thane’s allure, she thrills as he methodically and, oh, so seductively shatters her every boundary.
3) The National Dodge Boulder League. Dodge ball for immortals—with zero rules. The more bloodshed the better. Elin and her friends are the Multiple Scorgasms, and they play to win. I don’t think I’ve ever written so much trash talk.
4) There’s something for everyone. Sizzle, fun, emotions that tug the heartstrings, excitement, battles, redemption and my personal favorite, a happily ever after.
5) Despite the paranormal setting and characters, I love the universality of a hero and heroine who begin their journeys in a very dark place, with seemingly no hope for the future, but then discover that together they are made stronger and find their way into the light.
I hope you’ll give Burning Dawn a try—and have as much fun reading it as I had writing it.
About the Book
New York Times bestselling author Gena Showalter returns with a sizzling Angels of the Dark tale about a winged warrior renowned for his ruthlessness, and the woman who becomes his obsession….
A tormented past has left Thane with an insatiable need for violence, making him the most dangerous assassin in the skies. He lives by a single code: no mercy. And as he unleashes his fury on his most recent captor, he learns no battle could have prepared him for the slave he rescues from his enemy’s clutches—a beauty who stokes the fires of his darkest desires.
Elin Vale has her own deep-rooted scars, and her attraction to the exquisite warrior who freed her challenges her every boundary. But Thane’s unwavering determination to protect her means she must face her greatest fears—and enter a world in which passion is power, and victory means breathtaking surrender.