#1 New York Times bestselling author Kresley Cole takes a time-out from writing her next Immortals After Dark story to talk about the future of her award-winning series. Her upcoming releases include Deep Kiss of Winter (11/09) and Pleasure of a Dark Prince (2/10), both available for preorder from Pocket Books. Plus, find out how you can win a advance reading copy of her upcoming book!
Thanks for having me over–very happy to be here! Today, I hope to answer a question I’m often asked: What do you plan for the rest of the IAD series? I’ve listed a few of the highlights below. . . .
What you’ll see more of:
2. Valkyries. In Deep Kiss of Winter, delicate Valkyrie Daniela the Ice Maiden is wooed by vampire Murdoch Wroth, a former Casanova, legendary for having all the right moves in and out of bed–except with Danii. When they’re together, he’s prone to tripping, unintended insults, and an embarrassing loss of, er, staying power.
Stealing much more screen time will be Regin the Radiant–who likes her men young, dumb, and hung. Find out why she behaves as she does, and if she and her reincarnating berserker, Aidan the Fierce, will finally get it right this time. Aidan, by the way, is exceptionally intelligent, untold centuries old, and only meets one of Regin’s requirements from above.
And of course we we’ll see more Nucking Futs Nïx. Apparently, readers enjoy her antics. Coincidentally, I *adore* writing them. See, readers? This is why we’re so right for each other. Don’t fight it, my love(s).
3. More overlapping timelines. I swear with each book that it’ll be the last time I pull this stunt, because–and here’s the thing–getting those timelines right is [expletive deleted] hard. And just to add stress to this foolish endeavor? The overlapping books must still be stand alone stories.
Weaving timelines leads to Red Bull abuse, premature aging, and husbands dodging thrown objects. [Sorry, Swede! Upside? You're getting really spry!]
Ah, but once I see the timelines of multiple books dovetailing. . . ? Sigh. That feeling’s a jot addictive. Regrettably, I can see me going down that dark, treacherous path again. Don’t make me go alone. Buy my books. Hold me.
4. More hot sexxors, and getting hotter. For years, I’ve been threatening to take the gloves off when writing love scenes. And I think I’ve finally browbeaten my editor into letting me go *crazy.* I’ve broken her. Ha-ha, just kidding, L, nobody’s broken. (I’ve totally broken her!)
5. Witches galore. Brazen Carrow the Incarcerated brings all her swagger and delinquency to center stage, while turning her poor hero’s life inside out. Who is her hero? you ask. Exactly who he shouldn’t be, I answer coyly.
6. More luxury goods of exorbitant costs. Life is long for immortals; luxury is nice crucial to survival. Plus, it’s fun to fictionally destroy. I could write about demons totaling two-million-dollar cars and Lykae biting off thousand-dollar panties all–day–long.
7. Segue to Lykae. Werewolf Garreth MacRieve’s story, Pleasure of a Dark Prince, comes out next February. We’ll see him battle to win the heart of mysterious Lucia the Huntress–and also how he’ll react when she drops a bombshell of an obstacle between them….
So, I hope you enjoy where the series is going! If you’re new to the IAD, and would like to see where it’s been, here’s the backlist:
1. “The Warlord Wants Forever” in PLAYING EASY TO GET Feb 2006
2. A HUNGER LIKE NO OTHER April 2006
3. NO REST FOR THE WICKED Halloween 2006
4. WICKED DEEDS ON A WINTER’S NIGHT Halloween 2007
5. DARK NEEDS AT NIGHT’S EDGE May 2008
6. DARK DESIRES AFTER DUSK June 2008
7. KISS OF A DEMON KING February 2009
8. “Untouchable” in DEEP KISS OF WINTER (a duology with Gena Showalter) November 2009
9. PLEASURE OF A DARK PRINCE February 2010
For those seasoned Loreans, thank you for all your support and readership!
Score an ARC of Kresley’s upcoming story from Deep Kiss of Winter! One winner will be randomly drawn from the comments below. The contest ends on June 16th and the winner will be announced the next day. (The ARC will be mailed on 7-20-09)
If you’d like to leave a comment without registering, we’ve created an account you can use: username & password are both “Anonymous”. Don’t forget to sign your name/nickname so we can name the winner!